Am I eligible for VA approved funding in 2021?
The rules for VA Approved Education Funding have changed slightly for 2021, so if you’re thinking of joining us here at NCC to start a new career after your service, here is a rundown of the rules around eligibility.
Am I Eligible for Education Benefits?
According to the VA, You may be eligible for VA education benefits (Chapter 35 benefits) if you’re the child or spouse of a service member and one of the descriptions listed below is true of the service member.
One of these must be true. The service member:
- Died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001, or
- Is missing in action or was captured in the line of duty by a hostile force, or
- Was detained (held) by force while in the line of duty by a foreign government or power, or
- Is in the hospital or getting outpatient treatment for a service-connected permanent and total disability, and is likely to be discharged for that disability. A service-connected permanent and total disability is a disability resulting from your service that doesn’t go away.
You may be eligible for VA education benefits (Chapter 35 benefits) if you’re the child or spouse of a Veteran and one of the descriptions listed below is true of the Veteran.
One of these must be true. The Veteran:
- Is permanently and totally disabled due to a service-connected disability, or
- Died while on active duty or as a result of a service-connected disability
If you’re a dependent who doesn’t meet the above criteria, you may still qualify for VA education benefits if the Veteran or service member transferred some or all of their Post-9/11 GI Bill® entitlement to you while they were on active duty.
What Benefits Can I Get?
VA approved education funding in 2021 will provide you with funds towards the following:
- Education and training
- Money for tuition
- Money for housing
- Money for books and supplies
Financial Scholarships and Assistance Are Available for Veterans
Another advantage of returning to school as a veteran is that there are many financial opportunities available for funding your studies. From Military Tuition Assistance to Veterans GI Bill® benefits, there are many options available.
How Do I Apply for VA Approved Funding?
- Online – You can apply for your chosen VA benefits program online through the VA Website. This streamlined process will only take around 30 minutes to complete.
- In-Person – You can apply in person through your local VA Office. The Regional VA Office for Nevada is located in Reno at 5460 Reno Corporate Drive, Reno, NV 89511.
- By Mail – If you prefer to apply by mail, Call 1-888-GI BILL®-1 (888-442-4551) to have an application pack mailed to you.
- At Northwest – Northwest is committed to providing every assistance it can to our country’s servicemembers. Call us on (702) 403-1592 to speak to one of our enrollment experts and we will provide you with all the information you’ll need to start your application.
Dr. Thomas Kenny,
Chief Compliance Officer
Disclaimer: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.