Am I eligible for VA approved funding in 2021?
- VA Education Benefits
- July 30, 2021
- 146 views
- 3 min read
The rules for VA Approved Education Funding have changed slightly for 2021, so if you’re thinking of joining us here at NCC to start a new career after your service, here is a rundown of the rules around eligibility.
Am I Eligible for Education Benefits?
According to the VA, You may be eligible for VA education benefits (Chapter 35 benefits) if you’re the child or spouse of a service member and one of the descriptions listed below is true of the service member.
One of these must be true. The service member:
- Died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001, or
- Is missing in action or was captured in the line of duty by a hostile force, or
- Was detained (held) by force while in the line of duty by a foreign government or power, or
- Is in the hospital or getting outpatient treatment for a service-connected permanent and total disability, and is likely to be discharged for that disability. A service-connected permanent and total disability is a disability resulting from your service that doesn’t go away.
You may be eligible for VA education benefits (Chapter 35 benefits) if you’re the child or spouse of a Veteran and one of the descriptions listed below is true of the Veteran.
One of these must be true. The Veteran:
- Is permanently and totally disabled due to a service-connected disability, or
- Died while on active duty or as a result of a service-connected disability
If you’re a dependent who doesn’t meet the above criteria, you may still qualify for VA education benefits if the Veteran or service member transferred some or all of their Post-9/11 GI Bill® entitlement to you while they were on active duty.
What Benefits Can I Get?
VA approved education funding in 2021 will provide you with funds towards the following:
- Education and training
- Money for tuition
- Money for housing
- Money for books and supplies
Financial Scholarships and Assistance Are Available for Veterans
Another advantage of returning to school as a veteran is that there are many financial opportunities available for funding your studies. From Military Tuition Assistance to Veterans GI Bill® benefits, there are many options available.
How Do I Apply for VA Approved Funding?
- Online – You can apply for your chosen VA benefits program online through the VA Website. This streamlined process will only take around 30 minutes to complete.
- In-Person – You can apply in person through your local VA Office. The Regional VA Office for Nevada is located in Reno at 5460 Reno Corporate Drive, Reno, NV 89511.
- By Mail – If you prefer to apply by mail, Call 1-888-GI BILL®-1 (888-442-4551) to have an application pack mailed to you.
- Northwest – Northwest is committed to providing every assistance it can to our country’s servicemembers. Call us at (702) 403-1592 to speak to one of our enrollment experts and we will provide you with all the information you’ll need to start your application.
Disclaimer: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.