What Are Some of the Best Career Options for Military Spouses?

  • VA Education Benefits
  • March 13, 2024
  • 4 min read
A happy military serviceman with his wife and kids.

If you are the spouse of an Active Duty Service Member, you may be eligible for up to $4,000 of Financial Assistance from the Department of Defense. This scholarship grant encourages spouses of military personnel to pursue education, training, licenses, certificates, and degrees leading to employment in so-called “Portable Career Fields.”

This means that, even if you have to move every few years due to the military lifestyle, you can pursue your own career without having to worry about the financial burden of going back to college. In this article, we will be looking at what career and study options are available for Military spouses in portable career fields.

Programs of Study

Dental Assistant

Dentistry is a growing sector with good job security, because, no matter what the economy is like, everyone needs to get their teeth looked after, right? The benefits fo training as a dental assistant or dental administrative assistant is that there are job opportunities in both civilian and military settings.

What dental assistants do:

  • Prep patients for dental work
  • Take x-rays
  • Keep records
  • Schedule patients
  • Sterilize instruments
  • Hand instruments to the dentist

Veterinary Assistant

This veterinary healthcare field is expected to grow by 19% through 2026, which means qualified assistants are becoming increasingly in demand. If you love working with animals and want to make a real difference in their lives, then this might be the job for you

What vet assistants do:

  • Observe animal behavior and conditions
  • Clean and disinfect animal living quarters
  • Sanitize equipment
  • Provide first aid to sick or injured animals
  • Groom animals, including nail cutting, bathing, and brushing
  • Restrain animals during exams
  • Collect blood and tissue samples, as needed

Medical Assistant

The healthcare field is one in constant need of qualified medical assistants and medical administrative assistants and is the ideal setting for those who are physically active, compassionate, patient, and detail-oriented. Medical assistants and medical administrative assistants can find work in hospitals, doctors offices, and nursing homes.

What Medical Assistants do:

  • Clean and bathe patients
  • Help patients use the bathroom
  • Reposition and move patients between beds and wheelchairs
  • Gather details on patient health concerns to report to nurses
  • Check vital signs
  • Serve food and help patients eat

Massage Therapist

As a licensed massage therapist, most importantly you are helping your clients achieve maximum, personal wellness. Often, massage therapists have their own business, which allows them to work on a freelance basis, setting their own hours and rates.

What massage therapists do:

  • Talk with clients about treatment goals
  • Use hands to manipulate soft tissue to improve circulation and heal injuries
  • Advise clients on stretching, strengthening, and relaxing
  • Record client progress

How Do I Pick the Program That Suits Me Best?

Picking a new career can be daunting, so asking yourself the following questions can help you narrow down what you want from a particular job and choose the one that is right for you

What are my skills and interests?

How long do I want to be in school?

Does the program curriculum look interesting?

What are my goals and would this program help me achieve those?

If you are still struggling to decide, or just want to talk to someone who can give you more specifics on a particular program, go ahead and call us on (702) 403-1592 to speak to one of our enrollment experts.

How Do I Apply?

  • Online – You can apply for your chosen VA benefits program online through the VA Website. This streamlined process will only take around 30 minutes to complete.
  • In Person – You can apply in person through your local VA Office. The Regional VA Office for Nevada is located in Reno at 5460 Reno Corporate Drive, Reno, NV 89511.


  • By Mail – If you prefer to apply by mail, Call 1-888-GI BILL®-1 (888-442-4551) to have an application pack mailed to you.
  • At Northwest – Northwest is committed to providing every assistance it can to our country’s servicemembers. Call us on (702) 403-1592 to speak to one of our enrollment experts and we will provide you with all the information you’ll need to start your application.

Disclaimer: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Chief Information Officer

Dr. Thomas Kenny was born in Chicago, raised in Las Vegas, but considers Northwest Career College his true home. He has been working at NCC for as long as he can remember. He started by moving and building furniture on…Read Full Bio

Related Article