Call Us Today!
Northwest Career College is built on the foundations of family and the bonds that bind them. Dr. Kenny and his children have dedicated themselves to the mission of educating students and helping them to succeed in their chosen profession. Once you enter the doors of Northwest, you are family, through and through.
Come join the Northwest Family where you’re connected for life.
Since 1997, thousands of students have walked through the doors of Northwest and have gone on to become successful Massage Therapists, Dental Assistants, Medical Assistants, Medical Insurance Specialists and Paralegals. Won’t you join the fine group of Northwest Alumni now serving the community in a variety of professions? Explore Northwest Career College and see where your future can lead. Come tour our campus today!
At Northwest Career College, ours is a student-centered philosophy where students come first. Our open door and open heart approach to education sets us apart from all others. It’s a feeling you get when you first walk in our doors.
Every Alumni is welcome back on the campus of Northwest Career College. We love to hear your successes and share in your life’s progress. The absolute best, though, is when you return to the classroom and speak with our current students. Alumni come-backs always give students that extra bit of inspiration to help them see that their goals are achievable and real.
Northwest Career College has created a beautiful and peaceful testing space for both our students and our visitors to enjoy. We know how important and stressful test taking can be and we want to make your time here a positive one with successful outcomes! Make sure to allow yourself some extra time to arrive early, get settled, grab a drink or a snack from the front and prepare to PASS your exam!
We look forward to seeing you on campus and in our testing center. Best of luck to you!
Northwest Career College takes great pride in creating beautiful campus facilities for our students, staff and faculty. We invite all of you to visit our campus in person! But, until you get here, please enjoy a virtual tour of our buildings, program labs and learning centers. We look forward to seeing you on campus!
The image of the grizzled private investigator (PI) has become a permanent part of our popular culture, but the reality is that the PI role increasingly demands specialized training and, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, is also increasingly in demand, with 11% job growth predicted over the next decade. Becoming a PI in Nevada requires specific training, qualifications and experience before you can achieve your license. In this article we’ll look at what the steps are for becoming a private investigator.
1. Decide on a specialization – Many PIs specialize in certain areas of criminal justice, such as surveillance, missing persons, fraud, motor vehicle investigations, insurance and cyber forensics. While many private investigators work a variety of cases in their early career, focussing in certain areas and developing a reputation as a specialist in those areas can help you attract clients. The area you decide to work in will determine the education, experience and credentials you need. So it’s important to research your preferred trajectory individually.
2. Get Qualified – Over 70% of jobs advertised for private detectives and investigators in the last year required an associate’s degree or higher. In Nevada, applicants for the PI’s license are required to hold an associate’s or bachelor’s degree in police science or criminal justice. Northwest Career College is the premier Criminal Justice School in Las Vegas, offering you the skills and education you’ll need to qualify as a private investigator.
3. Gain experience – All candidates for private investigator licenses in Nevada must possess at least 5 years of investigative experience, you may satisfy some of this experience requirement through a college program in police science or criminal justice. Many private investigation agencies also offer internships to help prospective PI’s build up their experience. Previous professional experience in investigation can come from a variety of fields, including business and accounting, cyber security, law enforcement and military capacities.
4. Get licensed – In addition to 5 years of investigative experience, the the minimum requirements for licensure in Nevada are:
After submitting your application for licensure and receiving approval from the Nevada Private Investigators Licensing Board, you will be required take the Nevada State Board Examination, which is designed to assess your knowledge of the Nevada Revised Statutes and Regulations.
5. Network for Job Opportunities – Joining a local or state association, such as the Nevada Society of Professional Investigators, can provide you with a number of opportunities, such as adding to your private investigation qualifications, finding clients through networking events and keep you up to date with current information on legislation affecting the private investigation industry.
Earning a degree from our Criminal Justice School puts you in an excellent position to access a variety of employment opportunities as you look for one that suits your skills and interests. At Northwest Career College, our Criminal Justice instructors include licensed, practicing attorneys and degreed instructors able to teach, not only the law, but also to guide our students in the many ways a criminal justice graduate integrates into a Las Vegas legal profession.
As part of our Criminal Justice Program, you’ll visit courts, jails, meditation centers and more to experience first-hand the law in action which will make your criminal justice training applicable to the Las Vegas legal system. Northwest offers a flexible blended program with all criminal justice classes and Las Vegas law classes taught on campus by an attorney and general education courses offered online. Our experienced instructors are on-campus to review and support your learning experience at all times.
Call us at (702) 403-1592 to speak to one of our enrollment team about joining our Criminal Justice Program today!
Lisa Myers, J.D., L.L.M.
Legal Studies Department Director
J.D. L.L.M. Campbell University
B.A. Corllins University