Dental Administrative Assistants: The Unsung Heroes Of The Dental Industry
- Dental Administrative Assistant
- May 8, 2023
- 871 views
- 5 min read
There is no doubt that dental administrative assistants are the unsung heroes of the dental industry. They keep things running smoothly behind the scenes and make sure that everything happens on schedule.
If you are interested in becoming a dental administrative assistant, this blog post is for you! In this post, we will discuss what skills you need to succeed in this career, as well as how to become a dental administrative assistant.
We will also provide a few tips for those who are already working in this field. So without further ado, let’s get started!
Table of Contents
- What does a Dental Administrative Assistant do?
- What education do I need to become a Dental Administrative Assistant?
- What are the skills I need to become a Dental Administrative Assistant?
- What is the job outlook for Dental Administrative Assistants?
- Why NCC is the best place to train as a Dental Administrative Assistant
- Start your Dental Administrative Assisting career with us!
What does a Dental Administrative Assistant do?
The duties of a dental administrative assistant can vary depending on the size and type of dental practice. In general, however, dental administrative assistants are responsible for handling appointments, billing, and insurance paperwork.
They may also be responsible for ordering supplies, maintaining patient records, and scheduling lab appointments. Larger practices may have multiple dental administrative assistants on staff, each with its own specific duties.
What education do I need to become a Dental Administrative Assistant?
There are no formal educational requirements to become a dental administrative assistant. However, most dental assistants have at least a high school diploma or equivalent. Many also complete some form of postsecondary training, such as a certificate or associate’s degree program in dental assisting.
These programs typically last one to two years and cover topics such as oral anatomy, infection control, and dental office procedures. Some states require dental assistants to be licensed or registered, although requirements vary.
What are the skills I need to become a Dental Administrative Assistant?
In addition to having a high school diploma or equivalent, dental administrative assistants should have:
- Excellent communication skills: Dental administrative assistants must be able to communicate effectively with patients, dentists, and other members of the dental team. They also need to be able to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Good organizational skills: Dental administrative assistants must be able to keep the dental office running smoothly. This includes tasks such as scheduling appointments, maintaining treatment records, and ordering supplies.
- Basic computer skills: Dental administrative assistants need to be familiar with basic computer applications such as word processing and spreadsheet programs. They may also be responsible for managing the dental office’s website and social media accounts.
- Interpersonal skills: Dental administrative assistants need to be able to deal with a variety of people. This includes patients, who may be nervous or in pain, as well as dental staff and vendors.
Becoming a dental administrative assistant is a great way to start a career in the dental industry. These professionals play a vital role in ensuring that dental practices run smoothly and efficiently. If you have excellent communication and organizational skills, then a career as a dental administrative assistant may be right for you!
What is the job outlook for Dental Administrative Assistants?
The job outlook for dental administrative assistants is positive. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that employment in this field will grow by 19 percent from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations. This growth is due to an aging population and an increased focus on preventive care.
Why NCC is the best place to train as a Dental Administrative Assistant
NCC offers a comprehensive training program that will prepare you for a successful career as a dental administrative assistant. Our curriculum covers everything from insurance billing to patient scheduling and more. We also offer externships with local dental practices, so you can get real-world experience before you even graduate!
If you’re interested in becoming a dental administrative assistant, there’s no better place to start than NCC. Contact us today to learn more about our program and how we can help you reach your career goals!
Start your Dental Administrative Assisting career with us!
Employment for entry-level employment in the dental field is expected to increase by 23% over the next 10 years, faster than average for all occupations, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
With this growing demand for DAAs, it is essential that graduates cultivate the skills and traits that will help them stand out in the employment market.
Here at Northwest Career College, our Dental Administrative Assisting Program prepares students to work in any dental office. Our expansive, nine-operatory lab provides students with real-life dental office experience.
You will be trained to handle clerical duties such as scheduling appointments, handling insurance claims, and monitoring inventory. You will work with documents, forms, and computer systems. No other Dental Administrative Assistant Program in Las Vegas offers this type of advanced training.
Our student-focused approach will help you cultivate the skills you will need to stand out. Our experienced Career Services team will work with you to help you find the best dental administrative assistant employment opportunities in Las Vegas. Call one of our enrollment specialists at (702) 403-1592 to find out more.